WanderingWoman

Observations of the world from a former elementary school teacher, now world traveler, as she accompanies her military spouse across the world. Adventures abound!

Saturday, April 14, 2007

It's been awhile...

It has been awhile since my last post, as I have been busy acclimating to Thailand and the "Thai" way of life. Since I last wrote, I have ridden an elephant, shopped in many "smelly" markets, celebrated Songkran (the insanely wet Thai New Year), begun Thai language classes, and basically I am in the process of learning my way around Chiang Mai and loving it. Our housekeeper started a few weeks ago, and it has been an adjustment having someone cook, clean, wash and press your clothes, and basically take care of all of the necessities of home life. It's not so bad, though!
We have been exploring the town, and have learned many things about the Thai way of life. For instance, eating locally is MUCH MUCH cheaper than shopping and cooking on your own. Lunch costs about 20 baht a day (about 60 cents), and we spend less than 150 baht going to dinner at night. We’ve even had some really good Greek and Italian food here (you’d be surprised at the diversity), but we are trying as much Thai as possible. I am trying to learn to speak as much Thai as possible (We started classes on the 29th of March) so that I can order at the market and be understood. I’ve found a few dishes (I love super spicy foods) and can pretty much order them in a clutch, but you never know what you might get. If you are looking at the market pictures, to answer the most obvious question, NO, I haven’t eaten the roaches (I go to Warorot market only when I want to LOSE my appetite), but they put these really gross dried shrimp that are still in their shells with their eyes on them on a lot of the dishes, and I haven’t figured out how to say I don’t like them, but they taste really bad. One night when we went to dinner we tried some weird stuff, and the group we were with really liked eating the fish heads (I couldn’t stomach that!) But they’ve been here for about a year, and they said after awhile you just want to be braver and try some “other” things. But for the most part, Thai food is really good—I love it.
Warorot Market

As for other things, I’ve found a running buddy and I’ve been taking private tennis lessons a few mornings a week (it is really cheap), and I am getting good at getting around. Songkran was this week, so be sure to check those pictures out!
Anyhow, I will try to post more often. Enjoy!
(Click on the pictures to see the album)
Songkran

2 Comments:

Blogger Roz said...

Hi girl! Glad that we made contact...you have certainly made quite a change from Florida! I am going to add your blog to my fun places to visit on my blog...we can at least check in with each other via blog. I didn't know you had one til you posted a comment. I promise I will write you often via e-mail too.
Hugs to you and Randy!
Roz

April 14, 2007 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger A tidbit said...

Hi Wandering Woman-- I just woke up from a long winter nap in time for, yawn, another. When you posted in January - I was moving from NC back to upstate NY, Rochester to be specific. For many reasons, many changes, not an overseas move, I have not paid attention to detail. The fact that I could comment on YOUR blog, for one large one.

This is delightful and thank you for sharing your adventure.

October 29, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home